Connect with us

News

Gabz cheese boy ‘sees dust’ as DCEC seizes his assets

Published

on

It doesn’t rain but pours for Bakang Seretse who is being made to dance to the music in alleged corruption claims. This week Directorate of Corruption and Economic Crime officials pounced on his properties to search them and seized some of his assets. From yesterday, Seretse’s property in Extension 11 was placed under judicial restraint and cordoned off, with DISS officials and SSG soldiers guarding the place.

The Midweek Sun has gathered that Seretse was handed a court order for 48 hours last week but did not honour it. Thus the DCEC yesterday raided his properties and started searches.
Some of his assests believed to be from the proceeds or instruments of crime, which were to also be put under judicial restraint include among many others, cars including a Maserati Ghibi worth P8 million, two Mercedes Benz sedans, Lexus LX, Toyota Rav4, Ford Ranger, Volvo XC 90, Landcruiser 4.5, Toyota hilux, Ford Fiesta, a Subaru station wagon, a VW Polo and a Rolls Royce Phantom estimated to be worth P7 million.

Other assets listed include gym equipment, a Rolex watch worth more than P200, 000 as well as farm and gardening equipment, all totalling more than P30 million. The list also includes three properties, two in Gaborone at Extension 11 and Gaoborone West, while one is in Lobatse. Well-known lawyer Kgosietsile Ngakaagae says that his client is a victim of an ugly campaign. He however says that they will fight tooth and nail for justice to prevail and for all the other “guilty” parties in the infamous National Petroleum Fund (NPF) saga, believed to be the most expensive fraud case in the history of Botswana, are exposed.

The lawyer and his client threatened to “spill the beans” and to “spoil” 2019 for everybody by exposing other individuals they allege to be involved in corrupt cases, but are yet to do so.
Yesterday Justice Omphemetse Motumise denied them the opportunity to challenge the order and asked Ngakaagae and his client to make the appeal in a fresh application.

Seretse has been living it up for the past few years, and was known to be a “cheese boy” of note, throwing parties, drinking expensive drinks at parties and clubs, wearing expensive threads, driving expensive cars and was never short of willing female suitors to keep him company, as well as a circle of “friends” with an equal thirst for the finer things in life.

But things started going south after he was implicated in the NPF scandal, which played out in a drawn-out court battle. On several occasions following his arrest and trial a few months ago, Seretse went as far as to claim that certain individuals who were protecting themselves were targeting him. The matter was quiet for a while, and the NPF can of worms was opened again this week when the case reared its ugly head again. DCEC officials pounced on his properties and failing to gain access, forced entry on the strength of a court order.

Continue Reading
Comments

News

Boko has failed his constituency – Mokgethi

Published

on

THROWING SALVO: Anna Mokgethi vows to turn around the fortunes of Gaborone Bonnington North

Botswana Democratic Party Parliamentary hopeful for Gaborone Bonnington North Annah Mokgethi says area Member of Parliament failed to utilise the P10million constituency Development Fund to develop the constituency.

Every year government allocates P10 million to each of the 57 constituencies for developments under the ministry of local government and rural development and councils coordinate the projects. Mokgethi told the media in Gaborone on Tuesday that UDC president who is also area MP, Duma Boko was supposed to have pushed for projects to be done in the constituency.“As we speak there is nothing but the constituency has been having an MP and councillors in the past five years. “Crime is high in the area because there are no streetlights in most of our roads. Our people are attacked under the cover of darkness. Our roads are still dusty but you take our neighbouring constituencies they have paved the roads using these funds.

“We are behind because our MP has neglected the constituency ever since he was voted into office. There is nothing that he can show as a development he advocated for under the fund,” she said.
Mokgethi, a lawyer by profession, will be launched this coming Sunday by President Mokgweetsi Masisi.

Since its inception in 2017 the fund has been marred by controversy as MPs argued that they are not being taken on board in the projects.Vice President Slumber Tsogwane who at the time was local government minister, said it was wrong for council secretaries to snub MPs when councils consult residents on developments to do with the fund.

Mokgethi told the media that representation is about service. She said she is willing to represent the people of Bonnington North. “The people of this constituency are yearning for representation. They need a representative who will have enough time on his/her hands to attend to their needs and interests. Someone who will have an ear inclined to their needs,” she stated.

Continue Reading

News

BEAUTY WITH STAINS

Keletso Thobega

Published

on

BEAUTIFUL BETRAYAL: Many did not believe Mhotsha could commit such a heinous crime

Broadhurst Magistrate Court came to a near standstill this past Friday when Lebogang Mhotsha appeared for mention on a conspiracy to robbery case.

Sporting a spiral braided hairstyle, the 30-year-old, who looked exhausted and agitated, turned heads with her pretty face with many in the crowd peering at her and commenting on how unfortunate it was for such a beautiful young woman to be implicated in a crime of such magnitude, where blood had been spilled.

There was a heavy presence of police officers, soldiers, DIS and members from Interpol in the court that was so packed that one had to take gulps of breath to avoid suffocating. All eyes were on Mhotsi, who unflinchingly stared ahead as the brief court proceedings got underway. Details presented before court are that Mhotsha of Mogoditshane is implicated in a conspiracy to robbery following the death of three Batswana men in South Africa on the 26 July 2019.

It is said that the victims were robbed of P350, 000, ten thousand US dollars and a Samsung J72 cell phone. The deceased men were part of a team of seven Batswana headed to Durban to purchase vehicles. They were attacked along the Swartruggens road in the North West area between Mafikeng and Rustenburg by six men who robbed them at gunpoint and made off with the money. The prosecutor in the case asked the court to give them an opportunity to complete their investigations, adding that they also want to engage Interpol to assist them.

Magistrate Tshepo Thedi remanded the accused in jail pending further investigation. Mhotsha will appear in court again on 22 August 2019 together with two other accused. Botswana and South African police jointly launched investigations into the matter to establish the circumstances that led to the incident. So far, preliminary investigations have revealed that the robbery was an act of conspiracy between the suspect, Mhotsha as well as local and South African associates.

The case gets more interesting as more accused come out of hiding. This past weekend a confession was extracted from two other suspects, Poloko Seduke and Kefilwe Ramoitoi both aged 38. The duo subsequently appeared before court on Monday facing the same charge of conspiracy to robbery. Although investigations are still ongoing to piece together the puzzles in this case, it is widely believed that the three accused are part of a bigger crime syndicate operating between Botswana and South Africa that targets Batswana who travel to Durban to buy cars.

Continue Reading

Trending