Warning: strip_tags() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/cbet/themidweeksun.co.bw/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 5244
Connect with us

Sports

Magosi smoke peace pipe

Published

on

 The blinding dust that has been gripping BTC Premiership outfit Mochudi Centre Chiefs is expected to subside before the start of the 2017/18 season. Signs of stability within the troubled Magosi outfit came earlier this week following the election of a transitional committee, which is expected to take charge of the club until an elective congress slated for August.

The protracted stand-off between the Mochudi Centre Chiefs Society and Mochudi Centre Chiefs trust may have come to an end as both parties have seemingly reconciled and agreed as to who will be in charge of running the club. Speaking at a press conference on Monday this week, the newly elected Magosi Chairman Chris Molomo said for a very long time the club has been surrounded by negative publicity, which has calumniated in misunderstandings between the Trust and the Society.

“After the Mochudi Centre Chiefs society took the Trust to court last year regarding the running of the club, an order for an out of court settlement was made to reach an amicable solution as a family. So far we have reached an agreement. The society will be handling the affairs of the club,” Molomo said.

“We had to come together and absorb three people from the Society executive committee and the Trust executive committee, as well as three club elders to form this Transitional committee, which will be spearheading the club until the elective congress. The court had ordered that the Trust run the club until the 30th June 2017.The transitional committee shall therefore takeover the affairs of the club effective 1st July.

The Trust was also ordered to provide a handover report to Transitional Committee. Moreover, the Transitional committee was expected to draft a constitution and conduct a financial review from 2007 to 2017. “The court also ordered that no one shall hold parallel elections to those who will be held by the society,” Molomo said. Moreover, Molomo said they are not going to be oblivious to the Trust because they will need them to intervene and help the Magosi ship sail forward. “The club is now run by the Society but we are family as Chiefs,” he said.

Speaking on the current state of the team, additional Member of the Transitional Committee Raymond Tsheko said they may owe the players some money but the team remains intact as they haven’t received any letters of interest for their players. Subsequently Tsheko said they are aware of the club licensing order and they will comply with the order. “licensing is just a requirement that a teawith a massive advantage given their experience in the Desert Race. Local motorsport enthusiasts will also be treated to some celebrity, as they will have a chance to see former Dakar winner Giniel de Villiers in action.

De Villiers is best known for winning the 2009 Dakar Rally with team VW. The Desert Race, which is the third event of the South African Cross Country series starts with a qualifying race on Friday and concludes on Sunday. Double points will be up for grabs in the weekend marathon race scheduled for Jwaneng and surrounding areas. Class T, for vehicles over four litres and with solid axle rear suspension, is another kettle of fish and this is where most of the action will unfold.

The category has had two different winners on the first two events and only six points separate the first three crews. Meanwhile Class S for cars up to four litres with solid axle rear suspension will also feature fast and furious action. Former South African champion Jannie Visser, with son Chris doing the co-driving in a Toyota Hilux, will revel in the conditions and will be hard to beat.

The qualifying race will start at 13:00 on June 23 and the race at 08:15 on June 24 and 25. Public access to spectator points is free of charge with enthusiasts able to follow the race via the RallySafe app. RallySafe is downloaded free of charge and is compatible with iOS and Android operating systems. The app is user friendly and provides maps, split times and results.

Continue Reading

Sports

Local hockey body to incur massive financial loss post Covid-19

Published

on

Botswana Hockey Association (BHA) President Unaswi Matebu has confessed that her Association will suffer major financial losses post the Covid 19 pandemic that has left the sport fraternity at a standstill.

Matebu recently told this publication that the current situation does not only have tremendous effects on their schedule, but also there will be financial implications more especially that the association does not have full time sponsors.

“We had to cancel most of our calendar activities such as tournaments, national team trainings, Board meetings, and club activities since mid-March this year, all of which have cost us money to prepare for,” Matebu remarked in an interview.

Additionally she said the planning phase for their 5-year Development Plan which was supposed to be launched in June will have to be postponed. Also there are national competitions that were postponed till further notice despite them having already set up teams and having already started preparing.

“Our Indoor Hockey Senior National teams had already started preparations for the Africa Cup of Nations – a World Cup qualifier – that was supposed to be held in June, 2020, in South Africa. Our Field Hockey Senior National teams had already begun preparations for the Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers that were supposed to be held in August, 2020 in Zimbabwe,” she added.

Moreover, it was going to be an excessively detailed and decorated year  for local hockey governing body, with the Youth National teams having  already began preparations for the Africa Youth Championships that were billed for September, 2020, in Ghana.

“Player conditioning has obviously been affected because athletes are currently not training as planned and what we had achieved so far might go to waste. We are only hoping that the Continental and World Hockey governing bodies will give us enough time to prepare for these competitions post the pandemic.”

Continue Reading

Sports

BFA will not declare the season null and void – yet

Published

on

Amidst wide spreading fears that Botswana’s top flight league might be canceled and considered null and void because of the crippling Covid-19 pandemic, the Botswana Football Association (BFA) has yet to make a determination on the matter and has in fact ruled out scrapping off the season altogether.

Local football observers and pundits alike have already started talking of the possibilities after similar considerations of nullifying their seasons were made in the leagues of other countries especially in Europe.  No football activity has taken place in the country since social distancing measures were imposed to avoid the spread of the corona virus.

Local football pundit Fabian Zulu is one of those who believe there is a likelihood the football season will be nullified. “If the current situation persists, then there is a high possibility of declaring the league null and void. This situation wasn’t planned, no one knew that by now we would be facing this kind of situation; so the possibility is very high.

However, in an interview this week, BFA spokesperson Tumo Mpatane said the association has not considered canceling and nullifying the season as an option yet, adding that “currently we are observing a period of extreme social distancing, the ministry  of health and wellness will obviously give advice on the possibility of getting back to football.”

Consequently the BFA still awaits the Ministry to declare that the risks of spreading the virus are reduced and come up with a contingency plan. “If the ministry says there is a reduced health risk we will play out the season; if they advise against it we will then see what steps to take. The health of our players is more important and we will be guided by the responsive authorities,” Mpatane remarked.

However, suspension or cancellation of the leagues across the world seems inevitable even as some European leagues, more specifically the English Premier League, are now contemplating a behind-closed-doors campaign to finish off the remaining matches.

Continue Reading

Trending