Connect with us

Vibe

Low turnout almost ruins My Star Challenge auditions

Published

on

Auditions for this year’s best of the best My Star challenge were held on Saturday at the BTV auditorium to select contestants for the competition slated for February.

This time around, the competition will be amongst previous seasons’ contestants who had qualified but did not win the ultimate prize. Although the number of people who made the auditions was quite low, owner and one of the judges of the show, Keabetswe ‘Master Dee’ Sesinyi said they have attained the 20 contestants they had wanted for the competition.

He attributed the low numbers to the fact that some of the previous contestants backed out of the competition in anticipation of who would be taking part in the competition.

He further explained that although bringing some of the previous seasons’ contestants ensured a very intense competition, the downside was the possibility of some people not participating for fear of tough competition. Master Dee revealed that the plan is to go around the country with those who have qualified to get citizens to know them before the start of the show in February.

One of the contestants, Wendy Lebudi said she was quite excited to be back in the show and hopes that this time around she would take the prize home. She did however admit that the competition would be a tough one. She voiced out her disappointment at the low turnout for the auditions and said the competition could have served as a reunion of contestants from the previous seasons.

Another contestant ‘Star’ sang the popular song, nomvula. Displaying a confidence only borne from the knowledge that he knows what he’s doing, he was quite comfortable on the stage. Star who was disqualified from his season’s competition said he’d come back to answer a call from his fans as he’d felt that his early departure from the show had robbed him of showing them his full capabilities as an artist.

One of the judges Kgomotso Tshwenyego commented that the contestants displayed a confidence on stage which showed that “ba sure ka story sa bone” and she loved that.

Continue Reading
Comments

Vibe

CHARMA GAL DROPS NEW ALBUM

Published

on

GOING PLACES:The singer has a new offering

CharmaGal is back with a bang. After a hiatus, following her hit Jabu last year, she has released an all Setswana thriller album just in time for festive.

The local music sensational is back into her stardom feat, the album brings yet another set of tracks in her 8-track album titled Lekgamu la bananyana. Touch Records in Gaborone officially released the album this past week.

During a media brief held at Botswana Craft in Gaborone this past week, CharmaGal revealed that she has been working hard on the album thus having high expectations on it. According to Charma, Lekgamu la bananyana is a notch high than her previous music deliverables.

Speaking to Vibe a day before boarding a plane to the United Kingdom where she was performing alongside South Africa’s BabesWodumo, she said that what makes her unique is staying to her craft. The Mmokolodi hit-maker said that it is giving what you are to the people that then opportunities arise for artists.

“People need to stay true to their uniqueness, this new album represent my style of delivering music, that represents my key and my melody that is why it is easy for people to react to it,” shared CharmaGal.

She also said that piracy is a concern in the music fraternity, adding that she has targets she has set for herself in regards to the number of copies she wants to sell on the album. “New technology remains a mystery for us artists, in a day after the release of the album, people will be she sharing out the music through Whatsapp and other social media networks and that is amazing.”

Meanwhile, a week after the release of the album, track 3, dubbed Banyana, is driving CharmaGal fans crazy. The song has already been played on various radio stations in the country. In the song, CharmaGal says that she does not need to get to work because she has hangover garnered from the weekend. **The album is available at most music stores.

Continue Reading

Vibe

Shamele drops solo kwaito offering

Irene Shone

Published

on

omolemo Thepa aka Shamele says kwaito music has taken out the artiste in him and he plans to elevate the genre as time goes. The 27-year-old recently released his first-ever solo single dubbed, ‘Dula S’tilo’.

He tells Vibe that the new single was actually written to honour the president of Botswana, Mokgweetsi Masisi as he sat on the presidency throne. He explains that he has been in the music industry for the past six years, featuring other artistes but decided to [produce his solo work this year.

“I have written this song and composed it to dedicate it to Masisi as a way of welcoming him to his new position,” he says.Shamele is confident that having worked with a variety of well-established artistes has given him light and direction to grow the Kwaito genre. Asked why he chose Kwaito of all other genres, he said that Kwaito is unstoppable and just needs nurturing.

“I found Kwaito in existence when I was growing up, and I have never come across any boring rhythm of Kwaito music. It is just unstoppable and thus, I want to be associated to it.”
He also shares with Vibe that local talent kept him motivated to also have a dream of becoming a solo artiste.

“The Real Magosi group inspired me to be where I am today together with all the local artistes in general because I embrace local music.” Shamele further says that he takes pride in the fact that he has already performed his song in the president’s presence recently in Moshupa at an event.

He also appreciates the positive feedback that he already has on his new work. Dula S’tilo currently enjoys airplay at Duma Fm, RB1 and RB2. The single was produced at True-African Studios. Shamele says that at the moment, he is focused on building his brand and give his fans and the local music industry the best.

Continue Reading

Trending